SWENext DesignLab Awards
SWENext DesignLab Portland is now accepting applications for the:
2018 SWENext Local Innovator Awards Program
SWE is proud to present the 2018 SWENext Local Innovator Awards Program, recognizing the outstanding young women shaping the future of SWE by developing an engineering identity in themselves and others. The Local Innovator Awards Program celebrates those who have charted their own path in the engineering fields and who strive to elevate STEM in their community. These awards are given to SWENexters in their junior and senior years of high school. Award recipients will have built a solid foundation toward future success and fulfillment in engineering by demonstrating intellectual curiosity, enthusiasm, persistence, and leadership.
To acknowledge the obstacles faced when living outside of urban centers, the SWENext Judith Gray Innovator Award was created. In honor of Ms. Gray, this Innovator Award is given to SWENexters in rural areas. To be eligible for the SWENext Judith Gray Global Innovator Award, applicants must live in a rural area as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau. If you live outside the U.S., please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to determine eligibility.
SWENext Local Innovator Award and SWENext Judith Gray Local Innovator Award Recipients receive the following:
- Registration to one of the five WE Local conferences in 2018 for themselves and one adult chaperone
- Recognition for their accomplishments during the WE Achieve awards banquet
- A 3D printed trophy and a certificate of achievement
- Participation in the SWENext DesignLab event as an engineer’s assistant
SWE Commemorative Shirt:” This is what a future engineer looks like” and other goodies
The SWENext Local Innovator Awards Program Portland timeline is as follows:
- Application closes 3/17/2018
- Recipients announced 3/21/18
- Conference event date 4/7/2018
2018 SWENext Northrop Grumman High School Community Award
The SWENext Northrop Grumman High School Community Award Program encourages students to use STEM to solve real-world problems. This award emphasizes the impact SWENexters can have in their communities through creative engineering. The problems are chosen by SWE members and represent ongoing and future concerns in the student’s community. Freshman through senior high school SWENexters are eligible to participate. The award recipients are selected by SWE members.
Sponsored by Northrop Grumman, this award is meant to get the Portland community involved in and excited about Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM).
For this award, a poster must be submitted that examines a problem in your community and proposes a solution using STEM. The community real-world problem to address will soon be announced!
SWENext High School Community Award Recipients receive the following:
- Participation in the SWENext DesignLab event as engineer’s assistant
- A trophy and certificate of achievement
- Participation in Community Award poster presentations where they will present their poster to middle school girls, parents, educators, and professional engineers.
- SWE Commemorative Shirt:” This is what a future engineer looks like” and some goodies.
Applications will be open through: TBD.